- DHA is found to inhibit growth of human colon carcinoma cells, more than other omega-3 PUFAs.
- EPA has been found to have the ability to reduce inflammation.
- Studies have suggested that EPA may decrease depression and, importantly, suicidal behaviour, also it improves the response of patients to chemotherapy, possibly by modulating the production of eicosanoid.
- EPA may possess some beneficial potential in mental conditions, such as schizophrenia.
- Studies have found that omega-3 fatty acids have profound effect on Alzheimer’s disease
- Heart health:
- Chronic inflammation is thought to be the cause of many chronic diseases, including cardiovascular disease. EPA and DHA have anti-inflammatory effects and a role in oxidative stress and to improve cellular function through changes in gene expression
Globally, EPA and DHA are gaining importance and becoming a part of the consumer’s daily diet. The key reasons for this change have been the increased prevalence of lifestyle diseases and people taking preventive healthcare measures. Moreover, emerging applications of EPA and DHA in food, dietary supplements, and clinical nutrition are further stimulating market growth.
The global EPA focused algae Omega-3 ingredient market is projected to grow at the CAGR of 9.7% during the forecast period (2019 - 2024).